Sunday 7 June 2015

Takanori Makes Revolution: Just You And Me (And 1000's More)

Chapter One: In Which One Japanese Man Celebrates Self-Expression, Acceptance and Individuality.











"Be yourself", he said. "There's only you and me here. No one cares what you look like. Have fun. Do what you like. Don't just do whatever everyone else is doing just because you don't want to stand out or to be singled out. It's embarrassing? Your kids are watching? Who cares! That doesn't have anything to do with it. It doesn't matter! Don't hold back! Go crazy!"

Yes. YES. YES YES YES.

It was funny to hear those words from the mouth of Nishikawa Takanori himself, with conformity and social order being such an important pillar of Japanese society. Yet someone had to say it. If this isn't how you feel, why should you feel forced to act that way? Just because everyone is doing it doesn't mean you should.

Though he did slightly make fun of our moves (the usual synchronized swimming routine which I have grown so accustomed to), it wasn't out of jest or bad intentions. But Nishikawa did have a point. We were all moving as one, doing the same thing - which wasn't all bad, of course. If we genuinely wanted to do it, there was nothing wrong with that and he was not going to judge us for it. On the other hand, if we were doing it just to blend in with the crowd, that wouldn't do at all. This is the first time I ever heard an artist bring up the issue of social pressure and conformism and be so upfront about it. Gotta hand it to him: he's got guts.

After Nishikawa pointed this out for us, I noticed some people around us start to loosen up, throwing themselves in every direction and headbanging themselves silly.

This was a good lesson and I hope no one will forget it. I wish for people to start being more aware of their unique existence and personal tastes, impressions, feelings and experiences. For them to forget about others from time to time. To remember that we are all different and that this is not a bad thing. Not at all.

But let's go back a little, shall we?

Starting a story with its final message might seem like a good idea, but it's only fair that I fill you in on the details.

3, 2, 1... Go!

Tonight was the best night of my life... again!

I know, I know. Every live that I go to, I can't help but compare it with the previous ones, claiming that it was by far much superior. It's not my fault if it always seems to get better! But after tonight, I have no doubts: what was probably my last live in Japan turned out to be the most memorable night ever.

Clearly encouraged by the crowd who never stopped moving and yelling out his name, Nishikawa never seemed to run out of energy. Between verses, since he had nothing better to do, he turned his back on the crowd and armed with a pair of drumsticks, threw himself at a smaller set of percussion that had been prepared in case he got bored. In the wake of his destruction, he threw the sticks in the air, as if to get rid of the weapons used to commit his crime. Whether it was on purpose or not, he also abused his mike and stand, and water bottles were flying everywhere he went.

The crowd was indeed on fire (though not literally). I am guilty myself of cheering for the man with a little too much enthusiasm. We were so loud that he had to tell us to be quiet from time to time because he couldn't place a word. XD But there were no ill intentions on his part. It was all in good spirit and mirth.

Nishikawa also had a ball over the venue's name. I would assume that he knew where he was, but all the same, he had to ask us what the place was called, and so we told him: Beisia Culture Hall. We then revealed to Takanori what he wanted to know. Where did the name come from? Some of you might be aware that Beisia is a major supermarket chain here in Gunma, which is what the building is named after. After pretending to mishear "suupaa" (think: "Scuba? Tuna?" kind of trolling XD) and making us repeat countless times, he finally seemed to get it, but he was not ready to move on. Thus he continued to poke fun at the ridiculous name, making the crowd double over with laughter.

I was surprised at how normal his outfit looked. Historically, he is known for fancying flashy clothes, feathers and glitter, but for this show, he wore a sleeveless (leather?) top and fitted trousers with a pair of brown knee-high boots. He kind of looked like a cute cowboy. Understandably, as the show progressed and the room temperature shot up, Takanori gripped at his shirt and tore it off.

Naturally, he only did that to regulate his body heat. Venturing to guess that the innocent singer had stripped down for his fans' viewing pleasure or simply to show off would be a blatant lie, not to mention a foul and unfair accusation. The passive onlookers also visibly did not enjoy the sight in the least and understood the mere practicality of the inevitable deed.

Who am I kidding. What a stud!

To see someone with a healthy weight and actual muscles, not the usual tiny little bag of bones, was a very nice change. He was by no means chubby (though he may be by Japanese standard), but rather buff in all his glistening muscular glory.

He looked strong and full of life. It was invigorating and refreshing.


Please allow me to present to you the setlist while I recover from this oh-so-vivid recollection.

SETLIST:

1. Double Deal
2. AMAKAZE -天風-
3. 突キ破レル-Time to SMASH !
4. Thread of fate
5. HEAVEN ONLY KNOWS ~Get the Power~
6. Summer Blizzard
7. Salvage
8. Dream Crusader
9. Phantom Pain
10. CRIMSON AIR
11. Count ZERO
12. crosswise
13. SWORD SUMMIT
14. UTAGE
15. Naked arms
16. The party must go on

ENCORE:

17. LEVEL 4
18. 蒼い霹靂
19. Preserved Roses
20. 革命デュアリズム

For the encore, Takanori came out wearing the (extremely expensive) sleeveless hoodie and shorts outfit from the vast array of attractive tour goods. One that I had eyed quite intently earlier on and was dying to buy for myself. For a short time, he sported them quite fabulously... only to take off his clothes again. XD

One thing that struck me was how friendly he was. One would think that someone of his standing - a respected veteran in the music industry and a familiar face in the entertainment world as well as a man loved by the public, young and old - someone like that might have let the fame get to his head. And yet I felt no restraint from him nor any kind of barrier between us. Only humility and kindness. He made us all feel like we were important, like we all mattered to him equally. He accepted his fans as they were and asked nothing in return, only that they be themselves, and accept and respect one another. How many artists actually take the time to lecture their fans about such things? I could name a few that I have seen rush through a number of songs in chain without uttering a single word to the crowd. Shyness or lack of time are no excuse.

It's an artist's responsibility. This coldness is what keeps me from going to see certain bands again. If I want to hear the full discography, I'll just do that in the comfort of my home. When I go to a concert, I expect a minimum of interaction.

Maybe I am blowing this out of proportion, but that is how I think.

In any case, Nishikawa did not disappoint.

He was telling us to forget about how people want us to be and to do what makes us happy. This may seem like the obvious course of action, but it is still painfully lacking in this country.

I have always admired T.M.Revolution, but I never quite knew what an awesome person he was. Now that I have seen him perform on stage, I must say that my respect has soared even higher. There is absolutely no end to his energy. Though I am ashamed to admit it, Nishikawa is almost twice my age, and yet he has 10 times more stamina than me. Tonight, he had perfect control over his voice which sounded exactly the same as it does on his albums, except it was easy to see that he was not pretending to sing. Two hours without so much as a false note or the shadow of a waver. Resonant, powerful vocals and enough drive to make the laziest person in the room bounce to and fro or clap their hands.

It didn't seem like he was able to stop moving around.

Nishikawa was acting like a little boy, unable to stand still.

When he wasn't simultaneously singing and dancing (in quite the lovely fashion I might add), he accompanied his band on the drums or on the guitar. He was in a constant state of elation and movement, jumping around on platforms and kicking his feet, throwing his head back to belt out the high notes and flipping his curls hither and thither as his body undulated and produced the most amazing hip rolls I have seen in my existence *cough*.

Honestly... What more could we have asked for?!

All in all, I would strongly recommend this grand little man and I really hope I will get the chance to see him perform again in the future. Here is an example of a true artist who is not in the business only for the money. I would gladly give him all of mine to have some time with him again. The tickets were a steal for the show he gave us was worth much more than what we paid. 

Keep rocking, man. May you keep inspiring people. ♥


1 comment: