Monday 12 August 2013

熱いですね~ (It's hot, isn't it?)

If I had a buck every time I heard this phrase.

Oh, but it's cute, really, and it doesn't take long before you start saying it yourself. ATSUI. BECAUSE IT'S TRUE. DEAR GOD, IT'S HOT. AND HUMID. I once read that summer in Japan, especially the month of August, was like walking around in a bowl of soup. やっぱり。I couldn't have said it better. Sweat just pours out of your pores mercilessly.


EMBRACE THE SWEAT, they said. It will be fun, they said.


Wait a minute. Wô, les moteurs.


Let's rewind a bit. Wzzzzzzzzzzzzzt.


I'm in Japan?


That's right! So I have been for a little more than a week, now. I've accepted it and adapted quite quickly, I think, yet again, I still feel like this isn't real. When we landed in Tokyo, I wasn't the only one who couldn't bring herself to believe that we were there. We spent a few days there and although we did go out at night, we stayed at the hotel most of the day, because of the orientation. Somehow, despite all obvious signs, we could have been anywhere else in the world.


As soon as we set foot in Shinjuku-ku, the first night, we got solid evidence that we weren't going to slither in unnoticed. From the moment we got out of the plane, we were suddenly under scrutiny. Strangely though – since I am usually of a self-conscious nature – I didn't really mind it. I know there is no ill will. They're just not used to seeing foreigners. I can understand that. And they're so cute and polite that you just can't help but like them. My friend and I were exploring the district and just as she was getting out her iPad to take a picture of us, a man approached us and offered to take it in her place – what's more, he did so in pretty decent English.



That's right, I stole that. But do check out my friend Ashley's blog here! Ash-chan, j'te fais de la pub, pardonne-moi? ごめんなさい!

That being said, I'm going to miss the Montreal gang. We really were such an awesome bunch together. We had way too much fun taking silly pictures in the puri-kura machines during our last night in Tokyo together (it's not even funny). Now the staff there probably thinks all foreigners have the mental age of a three-year-old.


Okay, I am NOT going to comment about my person, but the others are pretty normal.

I swear! Anyway.

We WILL see each other again and our friendship SHALL endure through the ages until the end of eternity (really).

Okay, let's be serious. In the bus ride that took me from Tokyo to Gunma through Saitama prefecture, reality suddenly started to sink in, slowly, yes – but not so surely. I don't know. I can't explain it. While I'm super happy to be here, I don't want to let the excitement get to my head. This adventure may be filled with fun, but the main reason why I came here is to work, so I don't want to get carried away. Maybe that's the reason? It still feels COMPLETELY weird, but not in a bad way at all. Still the realisation just doesn't seem to come!



The first few days were especially busy. I got to meet my supervisor – whom I really should be calling superwoman. She's amazing. She works crazy shifts because of me and does so much without the hint of a frown. It all seems so natural to her. Thanks to her, I got to open a bank account, go grocery shopping, buy a cell phone, among many other things (the latter took close to TWO HOURS, I am SERIOUS). So I am very grateful to her for all of this.

I got to meet some teachers (who are all so kind, interested and considerate) as well as some students (who are all extremely かわいい I don't even). One of them showed me around the school and the town and it was really really fun. I also received a lot of help in settling down and getting comfortable. Already, just a few days into this adventure, I already harbour an unconditional love for Japanese vending machines and コンビニ (convenience stores).

Oh, and Japanese television. The commercials are entertaining enough to be a show of their own.

Just this morning, the old original Pokemon series was on.

Oh, Japan. Why do you do this to me.

So many feels.

Oh, I just want to say that service in Japan is absolutely A+. Whether you go to a restaurant, a small shop or a larger-scale store, the staff there is sure to greet you as if you were one of their own and will not treat you any different. They don't even show the slightest bit of surprise! Not even the quirk of an eyebrow. It's as if you'd been one of their customers for years. The energy they exude and the professionnalism with which they serve you is truly a model for everyone to follow. The unfortunate guy at the phone shop was APOLOGIZING for taking up so much of our time when really it was my fault for asking so many questions. Absolutely priceless.

I got to practice my Japanese speaking skills on many occasions and I positively surprised myself because I managed to have a conversation and get my point across more times than not. It was really good practice and I feel that people are starting to know me a little while I get familiar with them. They're pretty warm folk. I love this town already!

Finally, yesterday, I spent some time with some of the local JETs. We went sight-seeing, sun-bathing and feet-soaking in the river before going back to watch some movies (in the sweltering heat), having a delicious barbecue (where too much food was involved) and ended the day with fireworks. I made good acquaintances which I hope will become good friends in the near future.

I didn't choose the Japanese lifestyle. The Japanese lifestyle chose me. Credits go to Allen Bo Agunday.

You can see the pictures I took in Nakanojo here. They are beautiful. And I get no credit, because here, everywhere you look is like a postcard.

4 comments:

  1. Omo, eonnie/ onii-chan! :D
    I just want to join you, now xD
    I'd like to Skype with you soon!

    Lot of love, Chloé~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come, come! :) Let's talk soon! When I'm settled down. Sowwie ;;

      Delete
  2. Service in Japan is wonderful, indeed, but I do feel sorry for them at times. I asked for a take-home box to put my partially eaten food in, and she thought I wanted another order of it to take home instead. That being said, they didn't make me pay for the extra meal that I didn't actually want...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Sometimes I wish they would tone it down a little and rest. They obviously have bad days, too. How the heck can they do it?!

      Delete