Saturday 3 August 2013

Sleep? That is so last year.

Goodness, look at the time! Wow, I should probably be getting some rest, right?

Probably... Yeah.

Now that I've made a sensible statement, let's get back to reality!

No, really. I have had no trouble catching some z's for the past few months or so, despite the circumstances. You'd think that I would be losing sleep over the craziness surrounding JET, but no, Sweet Mother of Jesus, oh no. I feel like I've been caught in a reverse teenage crisis where all I really feel like doing is pass out and do nothing all throughout the night (and day). Well, that's pretty darn inconvenient, isn't it, considering all I have to do and read about! I wish I could trade my (newly acquired?) ability to fall asleep anywhere at anytime, regardless of the amount of rest that I've already gotten, with the capacity to focus on the task(s) at hand and be productive for once. I could swear my ADHD-ness has gotten so so so much worse recently. Oh, look, a butterfly!

Moving on...

Today was Pre-Departure Orientation, followed by a lovely farewell cocktail at the General Consul's official residence. They were the last of a series of events that were both an incredible source of information and a great opportunity to mingle with my peers and the Montreal Japanese community. And although so much time has passed since the beginning of the whole process last fall, this is only the beginning of our adventure. It's a bit crazy when you think about it. But I'm so glad I got to meet all the Montreal JET's (as well as the Atlantic JET's, though I wasn't given the chance to get to know them very well). I've already made some really good friends which I will come to rely on for sure when I get to Japan. We're very lucky to have formed that kind of support network. (^-^)/ I think some bigger JET communities might not have had that luxury. Imagine the fun we're going to have in Japan when we're already having a blast here in Canada!

Hmm... I'm leaving in a few hours only and I don't plan on sleeping much until then. Even if I wanted to, I don't think I could! I'm way too scared to oversleep and miss my flight... Besides, I'm still not quite ready, so I'll just keep myself busy until then. Shouldn't be too hard to lose a few hours on the interwebz. :P Hopefully I can sleep for the most of the trip! Time will go by much quicker that way. As some of you may know, this is my first time on a plane. Yup, indeed, not the smoothest way to start, considering that the journey will be 1 hour Montreal > Toronto and 12 hours Toronto > Narita airport (plus a few hours of wait when connecting in Toronto). Then there's a 2-hour bus ride to Tokyo. But I feel that's a very small price to pay for a chance to go to Japan! Don't you think so?

ですよねええええ。

The excitement (mixed with just the right amount of anxiety) has started bubbling inside of me. The butterflies (more like bumblebees) have started dancing in my stomach, much to my discomfort. I don't feel like I'm ready. I don't think I ever will. But with all the preparation I've been though, hopefully I am. If I'm not having a seizure right here and now, it's not because everything is under control, but merely because I haven't realised yet what is enfolding right now. It's probably gonna hit hard when I'm sitting on the plane. (Then again, if it gets me good, I might be able to get some sleep...)

Man... With all the food I've been indulging in for the last few weeks, I think it's about time I left. Seriously, I've been (half-)joking that my luggage would get to fly on the plane while I would have to be shipped by boat. It's that bad... Why does food love me so much?! ;A;

Anyway. My body is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment