Monday 14 April 2014

Don't Call 119 Yet, I'm Still Alive...

You might have read about it, but my Christmas vacation was absolutely epic, so going back to work wasn't easy by all means. Perhaps because Christmas is my favourite holiday, I didn't want to put away my Christmas tree just yet, and so my apartment remained decorated for quite a while, long after the holidays were over. At least it wasn't Christmas lights like in the West, but I might have overdone it... I think I kept it until we were well into February. >_> But my apartment now felt pretty empty and naked, so I made up for the absence of festive objects by buying and printing a shit-load of posters and little anime and idol cards and invading my walls with them. Not sure I want anyone who doesn't know me well to come in anymore... I wonder what their reaction would be upon seeing Haruchan's bare chest in the living room... At least the BL stuff is rather SFW, but still, I'm not sure how I would explain it! (@^w^@)

Other than a shinenkai (New Year's drinking party) at a local sushi place, where I met lots of new people, I also celebrated my 24th birthday, spent time (and probably too much money) hanging out with dear friends. I discovered what has become the new meaning of my life, those who know me personally know what I'm talking about, I won't go into detail here. :P Let's just say it's an anime with a very short name that tells the story of a flower and a mouse. Moving on... We had our first real snowfall around the beginning of February. That one time, we received what would qualify in Canada as a "storm" (albeit a normal one). Not long after, I tried my hand (feet) at skiing and wasn't much more successful than I had been at snowboarding a while ago. This was going to be my last time on a slope for this year... I hope I can motivate myself into going many more times in the future (next year), but this year wasn't too productive... I know, you are all very disappoint. Oh, also, I made a short trip to Niigata and on the train ride back was harassed by an old man who tried too hard to be my friend and get my number. >_>



The yosenkai was a party that the teachers and the 1st and 2nd-year students staying behind prepared to send away their seniors who would be graduating in March. I wasn't supposed to be there, because the day of the party fell on a day on which I'm usually away at one of my visit schools, but I wanted to be there, so I asked for special permission. I didn't know what to expect, if only for a kind-of lipdub I had been asked to participate in. The song was Koisuru Fortune Cookie by AKB48 (my favourite band! – just kidding, I can't stand them). But Japan cannot get enough of them, it seems, so it couldn't be helped. In its defense, the tune is pretty catchy, and it was their newest song when I arrived in Japan last August, so it's a bit nostalgic... maybe.

Anyway, the farewell party started on that rather funny note and from then on it just got funnier as it was punctuated with little presentations of survey results (who is the most ikemen (good-looking) amongst the male teachers, for example), baby pictures (both students and teachers), reminiscences and goodbye messages. There were a lot of performances, too, including skits but also choreographies. The music ranged from SMAP to Morning Musume, Exile, Arashi (Happiness), Busaiku, AAA, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and of course, the group you want to shake a finger at but just can't seem to shake off, AKB48. Overall, although there were some sadder moments, there was a good feeling to this party, which is good because I hate goodbyes with a passion.

The graduation ceremony a few weeks later was another story. I'd read and been told about it a number of times. I knew that what could have been a festive occasion was solemn and serious, often sad. My expectations sure were met in that respect. Many things went as I had foreseen: students were awarded diplomas, but also certificates and trophies in their respective disciplines and club activities. As usual, there were many addresses and greetings where everyone had to stand and bow (and sit down and stand up and bow again and WHY NOT A THIRD TIME). The usual drill. What shocked me was how orderly and disciplined the students were, and how spotless and infinitely precise everything was. Even more so than what I was used to. I knew there had been a lot of preparations and rehearsals, but still, this was especially impressive.

At this point, we did not know yet which teacher would be staying and which teacher would move to a different school, so those farewell speeches were pronounced at the closing ceremony. This was entirely about the 3rd years who were finally saying goodbye to their high-school days and moving on with their lives. We may not realize it in the West, but Japanese students are often deeply involved at school during those years, and they go through intense moments and feelings, both good and bad, so when the time to get out of school comes, whether they are moving on to university or entering the labour market, they leave a great deal behind. For that reason, not a single pair of eyes stayed dry, at least as far as the students are concerned, when the time to say goodbye came. I didn't cry, but I must admit that when this emotional pop song started playing and the girls filed out of the gym in tears, my heart ached in my chest.

Between outings to and from Tokyo and Yokohama with my precious girls, I also had a few enkai. I might have enjoyed myself a little too much. But in the end, all was well and good in the world and I got to know the teachers better. (Even if the next day I almost threw up twice in the car of one teacher who was nice enough to drive me home from the hot spring resort.)

Damn you Gunma and your swirly mountain roads!

I also started a tattoo project (a bicep tattoo which will become a half-sleeve in due time), saw kabuki for the first time in Tokyo (separate blog post will follow, as they say in Japan, 暫くお待ち下さい - please wait a moment). During spring break, which started last week, I also made a short trip to Osaka. I had been once, but it had been much too short of a stop, to the extent where I could say that I had never set foot there before. Although this time around wasn't that much longer (only about three days), it was definitely worth the super-long ride on the local trains. Find out more in a separate soon-to-come blog entry.

That leads us to... well, now. The new school year has just started, some teachers have arrived, others have gone, the desks have been moved and the seats switched and floors swept and I am about to meet some new kids. Though it has its perks, the job isn't easy, but...

I'll do my best again this year!


No comments:

Post a Comment